Monday, April 19, 2010

Home Sweet Home-Repainted

We finally decided on paint color and we painted the shutters and the front door. I love it so much. It mades such a difference!! We still need to put a door knocker on the front door. We used to have a wreath but the birds always make a nest in it and the eggs either fall out or the door has bird droppings all over it. So we decided to do away with the wreath and get a really nice door knocker instead. So will update when the door gets completely finished. We painted the shutters a dark brown and the door is bright red.

Finding a red was a challenge. Apparently they mix red by using a base paint with red tint, well Lowes has discontiued the red tinted base in order to make customers by the more expensive Valspar paint in the meantime the stores are running out of the base and cant mix Valspar reds. This caused a huge issue after spending 20 minutes decided on a red to find out they cant mix it. SOOOO we ended up actually getting the premixed oil based Rustoleium Regal Red. It worked wonderfully!!! Although my husband said he DOES NOT like working with oil based paint, its too sticky! LOL

We were torn between green shutters or brown shutters. I was so scared to do green because I REALLY wanted a red door but I didnt want a "christmas" house!! SO we found a dark earthy brown. I am super pleased with how it turned out!! Now to just finish that door!!!!


Before:








After:




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! I also agree with Chad about the oil based paint. It's horrible.

    ReplyDelete