Saturday, January 1, 2011

Our Lifestyle Change...

"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like."
— Dave Ramsey (The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness)

So with the new year my husband and I have decided to take on a new financial lifestyle as well. Don't get me wrong, we do OK but like most Americans we have our fair share of debt and bills to pay.

My husband has become a huge follower of Dave Ramsey. After reading his book Total Money Makeover my husband insisted I download it to my NOOK and read it as well. He says "this is what we need to do". So I am in the process of reading it and we are working on baby step #1. In the meantime,we have sworn off credit cards and cut them all up--NEVER to use one again! We are working on a budget and getting ready to live out of paper envelopes with cash only! I know that sound FUN doesn't it??!! LOL Plastic just seems to fit in a wallet better huh?? LOL

What I like about Dave Ramsey is that he has been there. He has been in debt, he has fell on financial hardship and he came back and it worked for him! We need to change our family tree so our kids will not see the financial hardships generations before us have seen. If we don't change it then who will?? I cant tell my kids credit cards are not OK to use and then they see me use them. I want my kids to grow up knowing how to use, save, and manage money.

I know some people who read this will say "oh they must be having financial hardship to do this", well no not exactly. My husband has a great job and we do OK. BUT, do we have a nice emergency fund-NO, do we own our home-NO, do we have consumer debt-YES, so why not take control now before something happens and its too late to do anything about it?? I am so excited to try Dave Ramsey's plan. I know several people who have and are far better off because of it.

I read somewhere once that marriage is about love and divorce is about money. LOL!!! It seems according to statistics that alot of divorces happen due to money issues and the stress money issues can cause. I don't want that to happen to me and my husband. So as of Jan.1 if you ask us to go to dinner or go to the movies and we say no, its nothing personal. Its an experiment we are doing as a family to as Dave Ramsey says---"Live like no one today so we can live like no one tomorrow!"

YES, we cut those suckers up!!!!!


We are going on the Dave Ramsey Financial Plan and excited to do it!!!


Debt Free and Saving Money is where we want to be!!!!!

I will definately keep you posted on how we are doing with it. Here's to 2011 being a financial success for us! Now to continue with baby step #1-gotta save that $1000!!

No comments:

Post a Comment